Ship History & Specifications
War Service Dates: December 1941 - June 1949
War Service Type: President Jackson Class Transport (C3 - passenger/cargo)
Navy Transport (AP-39) / Navy Attack Transport (APA-20)

MC# or Hull #: Maritime Comission Hull #55
Former Name: Same
Former Operator: American President Lines
Built: 1939 - Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co, Newport News, VA
Engine Type:
Length: 491 feet 10 inches
Beam: 69 feet 6 inches
Tonnage: 16,000 GRT
Speed: 18 knots
Armament: One 5" gun, Four 3" guns, Six 40mm
Crew: 513 crewmen
Troop Capacity: 1,388 troops
Disposition: Decommissioned June 1949 and placed in the Reserve Fleet

More Information

Quick Info About This Ship
Ship Type: President Jackson Class Transport
Navy Transport (AP-39) / Navy Attack Transport (APA-20)

War Service Dates: December 1941 - June 1949
Built: 1939 Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co, Newport News, VA
Troop Capacity: 1,388 troops
Disposition: Decommissioned June 1949 and placed in the Reserve Fleet

President Hayes was laid down as MC hull 55 on 26 December 1939, launched on 4 October 1940 and turned over to the American President Lines on 20 February 1941.


Acquired by the Navy on 7 July 1941, designated AP–39 and commissioned on 15 December.


On 6 January 1942 President Hayes sailed for San Diego via the Panama Canal. During February and March she evacuated civilians and service dependents from Pearl Harbor then conducted amphibious assault exercises off San Diego. On 1 July, with Marines embarked, she sailed for the Tonga Islands to stage for the assault on Guadalcanal. On the evening of 7 August while under air attack, President Hayes landed units of the 2nd Marine Regiment on the northeastern side of Guadalcanal. For the next two months she brought supplies and reinforcements from Tonga, Noumea, and New Zealand. Then during December, she moved cargo forward from Australia and New Zealand to New Caledonia.


In January 1943 she resumed reinforcement runs to Guadalcanal and as APA–20 (effective 1 February 1943), continued that duty until June. On 36 June she participated in the Rendova landings, shooting down 7 enemy planes. In July, President Hayes completed another troop lift to Guadalcanal then carried cargo between Guadalcanal, Noumea, Efate and Espiritu Santo. On 30 October she embarked units of the 3rd Marine Division at Guadalcanal for the invasion of Bougainville on 1 November, then brought in reinforcements and replacements during the rest of that month, December, and early January 1944.

1944 - 1945

On 20 March units of the 4th Marine Regiment, transported by President Hayes, peacefully occupied Emirau Island. In April and May she transported Army replacements for the Marines on New Britain. On 4 June she sailed with units of the 3rd Marine Division embarked, for the Marshalls to stage for the assault on Guam. Enemy resistance during the Saipan operation delayed the sailing but on 21 July she landed her troops and supplies east of Apra Harbor. After resupply runs to various bases, President Hayes was off Leyte on 21 October. Retiring to Manus on 29 October after unloading her troops, she witnessed the explosion of the ammunition ship Mount Hood on 10 November. The President Hayes was not hit and dispatched fire and rescue parties to the stricken ship. Steaming for San Francisco and an overhaul the following day, she returned to the Pacific and made runs between Espirito Santo, Guadalcanal, and Noumea. During the invasion of Okinawa, President Hayes with other units of Transport Division 32 had Ready Reserve troops embarked, and after the beachhead had been secured, landed her troops and embarked the 81st Army Infantry Division to standby as a floating reserve. She then steamed to the Philippines and from May to July moved more troops up from the southwest Pacific to the Philippines. While she was at San Pedro, CA, loading more troops for deployment to the Pacific Theater, the Japanese surrendered. President Hayes arrived at Manila on 14 September, then with troops of the 25th Infantry Division aboard, continued on to Wakayama, Japan, arriving on 7 October. On 29 October the troops were debarked at Nagoya, and the next day President Hayes departed for duty with the “Magic Carpet,” returning 1,400 dischargees from the Marianas to Los Angeles on each of two round trips.

1946 - 1949

On 1 January 1946 she reported to the Naval Transportation Service to deliver dependents of service personnel to Honolulu. President Hayes continued to operate with the Pacific Fleet until decommissioned on 30 June 1949 at Mare Island. She was assigned to the Stockton Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, on 28 November 1950. Her name was struck from the Navy List and she was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 1 October 1958.

These specifications and ship histories are adapted from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (US Naval Historical Center) and from various other sources. These summaries may not reflect the most recent information concerning the ships' status or operations. If you find an error or discrepancy, please email me at or fill out our online crossing submission form.